WGN IS COMMITTED TO PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
WHO WE ARE
We are WGN, chartered accountants and business advisors.
WGN is a trading style of the Winburn Glass Norfolk partnership.
HOW TO CONTACT US
4 Park Place
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND USE
Information about you that we collect and use in the course of our business includes:
- Information about who you are e.g. your name, date of birth and contact details
- Information connected to the services we provide for you, e.g. your accounts and tax returns
- Information automatically collected, such as cookies when you visit our website
- Information classified as ‘sensitive’ personal information, e.g. relating to your marital or civil partnership status. This will only be collected and used where it’s needed to provide the services we deliver or to comply with our legal obligations
- Information you may provide us with about other people, e.g. joint owners of income sources or beneficiaries of trusts
- Information on children where this is relevant to providing you with advice or determining your tax position. We will collect only the information required to provide this advice or carry out the service
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
We may collect your personal information directly from you, from a variety of sources including:
- Telephone conversations with us
- Emails or letters you send us
- Meetings with our staff
- Registering for one of our events
- Our online services such as websites and social media
If you are a member of your employer’s payroll or pension scheme, the information we collect and use will most likely have been provided by them on your behalf.
We may also collect personal information on you from places such as Companies House and other commercially or publicly available sources e.g. to check or improve
the information we hold.
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
A cookie is a small file – it’s saved onto your computer or other device when you visit our website. Cookies store small pieces of information. For example – they will remember you’ve visited our website or performed a certain action.
WHAT WE COLLECT AND USE YOUR INFORMATION FOR
We take your privacy seriously and will only ever collect and use information which is personal to you where it is necessary, fair and lawful to do so. We will collect and use your information only where:
- You have given us your consent to send you information about products and services offered by WGN and/or selected third parties we have chosen to work with which we believe may be of interest and benefit to you
- It is necessary to provide the service you have requested, e.g. if you ask us to complete your tax return we will need some personal information including your name, address, unique taxpayer reference numbe
- It is necessary for us to meet our legal and regulatory obligations, e.g. to tell you about changes to terms and conditions of our service or for the detection and prevention of fraud
- It is in the legitimate interests of a third party, e.g. sharing information with your employer’s pension scheme where you are a member
If you do not wish us to collect and use your personal information in these ways, it may mean that we will be unable to provide you with the services we have agreed.
WHO WE MAY SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH
We may share your information with third parties for the reasons outlined in “What we collect and use your information for”.
These third parties include:
- Your financial adviser
- Your employer
- Companies we have chosen to support us in the delivery of our services we offer to you and other customers, e.g. banks, funding brokers or insolvency practitioners
- Our regulators and supervisory authorities e.g. the Institute for Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), the Information Commissioner’s Office for the UK (ICO)
- HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) e.g. for your tax return or claims to tax relief on qualifying investments
We will never sell your details to someone else. Whenever we share your personal information, we do so in line with our obligations to keep your information safe and secure.
WHERE YOUR INFORMATION IS PROCESSED
The majority of your information is processed in the UK.
However, some of your information may be processed by third parties we work with outside the UK.
Where your information is being processed outside the UK, we endeavour to ensure your information is protected to at least an equivalent level as would be applied by UK data privacy laws, e.g. we will put in place legal agreements with our third party suppliers and check to ensure they meet these obligations
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
We take information and system security very seriously and we strive to comply with our obligations at all times. Any personal information which is collected, recorded or used in any way, whether on paper, electronically or any other media, will have appropriate safeguards applied in line with our data protection obligations.
Your information is protected by controls designed to minimise loss or damage through accident, negligence or deliberate actions. Our employees also protect sensitive or confidential information when storing or transmitting information electronically and must undertake regular training on this.
Our security controls are aligned to industry standards and good practice; providing a control environment that effectively manages risks to confidentiality, integrity and availability of your information.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We will keep your personal information only where it is necessary to provide you with our services while you are a customer, or to fulfill our statutory obligations, e.g. to HM Revenue & Customs, once you case to be a customer.
The period of time we keep your information for these purposes will vary depending on the legal and contractual obligations we need to meet.
We may also retain your information for marketing purposes until such point as you advise us that you no longer wish us to do so.
YOUR INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS
You have several rights as to how WGN uses your information. They are:
Right to be informed
Right of access
You have the right of access to your personal information. If you wish to receive a copy of the personal information we hold on you, you may make a data subject access request (DSAR).
Right to request that your personal information be rectified
If your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you can request that it is corrected.
Right to request erasure
You can ask for your information to be deleted or removed if there is not a compelling reason for WGN to continue to have it.
Right to restrict processing
You can ask that we block or suppress the processing of your personal information for certain reasons. This means that we are still permitted to keep your information – but only to ensure we don’t use it in the future for the reasons you have restricted.
Right to data portability
You can ask for a copy of your personal information for your own purposes, to use across different services. In certain circumstances, you may move, copy or transfer the personal information we hold to another company in a different jurisdiction.
Right to object
You can object to WGN processing your personal information where; it is based on our legitimate interests, for direct marketing; and if we were using it for research or statistics.
How to make a complaint
If you are still unhappy, you can complain to our Supervisory Authority the Information Commissioner’s Office.